Rise of the Rest with Steve Case is a nationwide effort to encourage entrepreneurs in startup “ecosystems”—emerging markets where high-growth companies can start and scale. On Oct. 12, Indianapolis was in the spotlight. When You Leave The Room joined some 300 spectators to watch the contestants perform.
Here’s what we saw that was great:
- Some well-rehearsed speakers who presented smoothly and convincingly
- Proof positive that “it takes a whole lot of practice to sound spontaneous”
- Some very simple graphics that made it easy for the audience to understand the concepts
- One very effective use of an emotional appeal
- Expert uses of humor to convey messages and build rapport with the audience
- A video included in one presentation – which actually included audio that could be heard. Hooray!
- Easy completions within the four-minute time limit by nine out of the ten presenters
Next post: what we heard and saw that was not so great.